BREATH OF MICHIGAN
We WON a GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ title! !!!
That's right! On July 31, 2022 at 2pm, we won the total of "Largest Display of Glass Items".
The Breath of Michigan took place June 17th - July 31st, 2022 at the Glass Academy. The world record attempt challenged us create 1,000 glass bubbles, over 6 weeks, and create the largest display of its kind in the studio gallery. AND WE DID IT!!!
The name for this celebration was chosen because we understand it takes many people coming together to create a successful community. To experience growth and achieve goals, people of all ages, colors and creeds unify for the common goal.
The public was invited to assist in helping us win this world record by blowing 1,000 glass bubbles during the special Breath of Michigan class, designed specifically for this event. Classes took place 4 days a week in June and July 2022 during the International Year of Glass.
Why did we do this? Well, here at the Glass Academy, it has always been our mission to teach about the glass arts and to educate the public on the craft of glassblowing. Throughout the past two years, and continuing into future years, we have put on an online educational show called the Gathering Point, highlighting the glass making process and the fun we have in doing so. We do believe it's essential to come together for something fun and lighthearted and creating a world record attempt was the right fit to reach our global audience.
When signing up for the Class Experience: Breath of Michigan, students used our recycled blue glass to make two bubbles and be a part of this exciting world record attempt. Now that the record was achieved, due to high demand, we are still offering the class to participate in the finished Breath of Michigan sculpture we are creating with the bubbles.
Cost: $35 per ticket
Included: Each ticket holder gets to blow two bubbles: one you get to keep as a souvenir, (made from the class before you) and the other will become part of a permanent display at the Glass Academy.
Sign up for the Breath of Michigan Class Experience HERE!
The Glass Academy thrives on community involvement. We are well known in Metro Detroit as team players for working with the community since the beginning of 2004, when we moved into our Dearborn location. This World Record was a way for us to highlight the organizations we worked with from our start up years.
The final judging took place on July 31st, 2022 at 2pm. An official judge from Washington, D.C. was flown in and counted the bubbles to assure that we did have the WIN!!
BATCH gallery will have the bubbles on display along with the actual award certificate and the Breath of Michigan concept board explaining how the 1,000+ bubbles will be incorporated into a large sculpture in the studio's event space called the "Michigan Room".
Customers who take the class in future months can choose their 2nd bubble to take home from the display in the gallery of the previous students.
Breath of Michigan
GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ WIN!!
Largest display of blown glass objects
July 31, 2022 |
Top 10 Organizations for the Breath of Michigan!
- Greening of Detroit- is a non-profit organization focused on enhancing the quality of life for Detroiters by planting trees, providing job training and involving our youth in the education of the natural environment. We involve Detroiters in the process through community engagement, green spaces, education and jobs.
- Friends for Animals of Metro Detroit- The Friends are dedicated to the rescue, protection, and adoption of companion animals in need while inspiring the human-animal bond.
- Ruth Ellis Center- has established a national reputation for quality and innovation in providing trauma-informed services for lesbian, gay, bi-attractional, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ+) youth, and young adults, with an emphasis on young people of color, experiencing homelessness, involved in the child welfare system, and/or experiencing barriers to health and wellbeing.
- Services To Enhance Potential (STEP) is a non-profit organization which provides supports and services to nearly 1,300 persons with disabilities and other mental health needs in Wayne County. A major goal of Services To Enhance Potential is to increase the number of persons who are employed, self-employed, and volunteer in their communities. STEP provides and supports a variety of employment and self-employment options.
- Rudolf Steiner Schools- At Rudolf Steiner School of Ann Arbor, we nurture children in their growth from Early Childhood through Grade 12. Our curriculum engages the head, heart and hands, inspiring curiosity, thinking, empathy and initiative. Our graduates enter adulthood with confidence and self-knowledge, a deep interest in other people, and an understanding of the world; prepared to thrive in higher education and their adult lives.
- Food Gatherers Ann Arbor- We rescue local food and leverage state and national food resources for hunger relief. We lead a network of hunger relief providers and engage the public in the fight against hunger. We create and sustain innovative new food programs in response to emerging needs. We recognize that hunger will not be solved through the provision of food alone, so we advocate for policies and system changes to create an equitable food system.
- The Henry Ford- The Henry Ford provides unique educational experiences based on authentic objects, stories, and lives from America’s traditions of ingenuity, resourcefulness, and innovation. Our purpose is to inspire people to learn from these traditions to help shape a better future.
- New Path Villages- Creating self-managed communities of cost-effective tiny homes for people in need of emergency housing. This type of village offers cost-effective means for providing shelter options while preserving individual autonomy, privacy, and responsibility. The Village will change people from being seen as unrelated homeless individuals to being part of a community of people temporarily displaced.
- Buy Michigan Now- Buy Michigan Now is a campaign dedicated to highlighting Michigan-based businesses and positively promoting the state on a local, national, and global level. Financed through paid memberships and corporate sponsorships, this effort is fueled by the passion of dedicated volunteers.
- Donate Life- The Donate Life Coalition of Michigan was formed to promote organ, tissue and eye donation. Our goal is to encourage Michigan residents to accept organ and tissue donation as a fundamental human responsibility.
We have an amazing, proven & profitable, fundraising partnership in which your organization can earn a percentage of the sales of our retail products; as you sell them directly to your clients, customers and staff. This is a great way to work with a small local business in your community to provide your customers with a high quality, unique, one of a kind product like. This is a win/win/win. You’ll be earning real dollars for your organization, promoting handmade and local products made in your community, and you’ll attract repeat customers because the quality of our work is so well recognized and well made.