What should I expect when I come to the experience?
The first 30 minutes of your experience will consist of checking in and signing paperwork and a tour of the studio. You will then be with your instructor for approximately 1 hour depending on how many students are in your class.
Our instructors will start out by giving you a bit of background information on the Percolla Reed. Then you’ll know exactly what it is you’re making and what it is for. Next comes a demonstration on how the product is crafted, what the finished product will look like, as well as suggested usage for the Percolla Reeds. We’ll explain hot shop safety zones, how to sit at the bench and use specific tools, and then you’ll be ready to start. Students will step over to the bench at this point to make their reeds using supplies and color specifically set aside for this class. Teachers will demonstrate color patterns, shapes, and styles, as well as gathering the glass, turning the pipe, and keeping the glass on the punti rod. Watching others is the best way to learn techniques so be prepared to sit and watch fellow students as they make their reeds. At times you’ll participate as a group so be sure to bring your camera and feel free to ask others to take that perfect shot if you attend the experience alone.
Will I get to take my reed home that night?
No. Once colored and formed, the students’ reeds will go into a annealing oven designed to slowly bring the glass down to room temperature. (which usually takes around 24 hours) If the glass cools too quickly it can crack or shatter. Then our craftsmen will add the steel rod to the base of the glass, which allows the rod to be placed in the soil so only the glass Percolla Reed will be above soil level. This process takes up to a week.
What else do we do during this experience?
This experience also gives you an opportunity to do the Big Bubble Blow!! Which is another studio original where you get to try glassblowing. We’ll set the glass up for you, shape it slightly on the marver, and let you blow the bubble as big as you can! It will give you an idea of how the glass moves and how many things are involved in getting the glass shaped just right.
New to the studio?
Also included in this experience is a tour of the Glass Academy.You’ll get to see projects in progress, hear about our new shows and upcoming events, and get the chance to talk with the staff and have them answer all of your glass questions. We often find many of the students have questions about how the studio runs and who founded it.
What to wear:
The studio could possibly be hot and sticky if the weather is warm, but know that it’s always bursting with excitement inside! Be prepared to sweat and have fun while doing it. Cotton clothing is a must, shorts are OK, tight jeans are probably not your best choice, but regular jeans are OK. Open toed shoes or flip-flops are not an option; you will not be able to participate should you wear them. Please stay hydrated!!! Bringing bottled water or sports beverages is encouraged, but we have water available here for our students as well. Drink plenty!
How to Register:
Follow the links below, phone us at 313.561.4527, or come to the studio to sign up. Please arrive no sooner than 15 minutes prior to your class. Expect to stay at least 1.5 hours but give yourself longer as classes may run over.
To purchase tickets for this experience, please click a date from the link below.
Note: Fridays are considered weekends.
- Experiences are non-refundable.
- We require a 48-hour cancellation notice. If you choose to cancel or reschedule your class less than 48-hours before your class, there will be no refund. (this includes no-call/no-show participants.) If you choose to reschedule prior to the 48-hour window, there is a $10 rescheduling fee.
- If you arrive more than 30 minutes late for your scheduled class time, you will forfeit your class.(this is because you have missed the demo of the product you would be making)
- Participants aged 16-17 must turn in a signed parental consent form and have a guardian present during the class. We do not accept participants under 16 years of age for safety reasons.
- We reserve the right to reschedule a class within 48 hours prior to the class date,if enrollment is low. You will receive a phone call to alert you if this is the case.
- All participants MUST adhere to our “What to Wear” guidelines.
- Please visit our FAQ page to answer any other questions you may have.
Yes!! With any class you participate in, you’ll get 20% off gallery purchases that night, as well as when you come to pick up your work. Ask for the special coupon when you come to the studio.