In this intro class we’ll show you what glassblowing is all about, introduce you to the tools and techniques, and then get You on the bench to create your own Great Lakes Icicle, a Glass Academy original item. The icicle ornament you’ll be making is made from 2400 degrees of molten glass, shaped by your hands, and then frozen in time as it’s cooled in our annealing ovens.An extra activity included in this class is the opportunity to do our Big Bubble Blow! What shape will it turn out? How big will you make it? Learn and experience the different variables in glass blowing, such as the temperature of the glass, the force of your blowing and how you turn the pipe. So many things to learn at once! Then, we’ll get started on the icicle ornament. After the instructor gives a mini intro on how to shape and pull the glass, you’ll take turns with your group to make the icicle ornament. Remember, watching others is the best way to learn and you’ll learn as you go, so pay attention. There is no ‘wrong way’ of doing the icicle; each one will be as unique as you are! It’s a very fun process.
In addition, as a bonus feature, you’ll get 20% off the Glass Academy’s line of gift ware and functional glassware found in our studio gallery, adjacent to the class. This discount is only offered during class times so be sure to give yourself enough time to shop the gallery as we have a variety of themes and glassware that you’ll want to explore. The class is about 1.5-2 hours depending on how much time you spend in the gallery and if you do a tour. Some students like to come early and watch, some stay later. If you are late, we start without you so we strongly suggest coming 10 minutes early to get your paperwork done and to get settled in.
To register, select a month from the link below, from there you can see what days and times are available.*
- We do no refunds on classes.
- We require a 48-hour cancellation notice. If you choose to cancel or reschedule your class less than 48-hours before your class, there will be no refund. (this includes no-call/no-show participants.) If you choose to reschedule prior to the 48-hour window, there is a $10 rescheduling fee.
- If you arrive more than 30 minutes late for your scheduled class time, you will forfeit your class.(this is because you have missed the demo of the product you would be making)
- Participants aged 16-17 must turn in a signed parental consent form and have a guardian present during the class. We do not accept participants under 16 years of age for safety reasons.
- We reserve the right to reschedule a class within 48 hours prior to the class date,if enrollment is low. You will receive a phone call to alert you if this is the case.
- All participants MUST adhere to our “What to Wear” guidelines.
- Please visit our FAQ page to answer any other questions you may have.